Netflix regularly loses licensed content from third-party providers but did you know it’s lost a bunch of Netflix Original branded content too? Here’s the current list of every Netflix Original movie and series that has departed Netflix thus far.
To get to the bottom of why Netflix Original titles leave, they usually fall into one of several categories.
- The majority leave because they are not owned by Netflix. Instead, they’re distributed internationally exclusively by Netflix for a fixed period of time.
- Secondly, it could be temporary or permanent licensing problems. For example, Beat Bugs left due to licensing problems for a short period of time whereas Slasher was removed for a period of time because the owner of the series went bankrupt.
- Thirdly, some titles that are time-specific. These include New Year’s Countdowns for example.
- We’ve also got a new case where the owners of the original content also decide to pull their shows too (often breaking original agreements and therefore, costing lots of money). Disney is notably doing that with their Marvel series.
- Finally, you may find Netflix Originals are removed from some regions due to laws or takedown requests. We’ll cover those at the end.
Netflix Originals Removed from Netflix due to Licensing
Now let’s take you through the list of Netflix Originals that have been removed (we may have missed a few but we will be updating this over time).
- Nick Offerman: American Ham – Removed December 2017
- The Killing (Seasons 1-4) – Removed August 2018 – Despite reviving the series, Fox opted to put the show’s first three seasons on Hulu.
- River (Season 1) – Removed October 2019 – Only international distributor for the BBC series.
- Estocolmo (Season 1) – Removed November 2019 – Argentinian series that Netflix carried internationally.
- Happy Valley (Seasons 1-2) – Removed March 2020 – Another BBC series Netflix only distributed for a limited time internationally.
- Chewing Gum (Seasons 1-2) – Removed April 2020 – Netflix only served as the international distributor and lost the rights after a fixed period.
- Slasher (Seasons 1-3) – Removed April 2020 – Removed due to Kew Media Group going bankrupt. Did eventually return, however but future season is heading to Shudder.
- Case (Season 1) – Removed May 2020 – Chilean series Netflix carried internationally.
- Cannabis – French TV Series – Removed June 2020
- Hotel Beau Séjour – Removed June 2020
- NSU German History X (Limited Series) – Removed July 2020
- Russell Peters: Notorious – Removed October 2020
- Russell Peters vs. The World – Removed October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – Removed November 2020
- Four Seasons in Havana – Removed December 2020
- Merlí – Catalan – Removed December 2020
- Pacific Heat (Season 1) – Removed December 2020
- Blockbuster – French – Removed January 2021
- Knights of Sidonia – Japanese – Removed January 2021 – has been removed multiple times in the past.
- The 4th Company (2016) – Removed April 2021
- The Little Prince – Removed May 2021
- LEGO Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016) – Removed June 2021
- LEGO: Friends: Happy Birthday to You! (2017) – Removed June 2021
- Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist – Removed June 2021 after debuting in April 2021
- Cooking on High – Removed June 2021
- Heavy Rescue: 401 – Removed June 2021
- Magi: Adventure of Sinbad – Removed July 2021
- The Last Hangover – Removed September 2021
- The First Temptation of Christ – Removed September 2021
- The Frozen Dead – Removed October 2021
- Chelsea Peretti: One of the Greats – Removed September 2021
- The Crew – Removed November 2021
- The Cuba Libre Story – Removed December 2021
- Lost & Found Music Studios – Removed December 2021
- The Break – Removed December 2021
- Homemade – Removed December 2021
- Retribution – Removed January 2022
- Mercenary – Removed February 2022
- Morocco: Love in Times of War – Removed February 2022
- The Frankenstein Chronicles – Removed February 2022
- 21 Thunder – Removed March 2022
- Marvel Defenders Series – Removed in March 2022 including:
- Daredevil (Seasons 1-3)
- Jessica Jones (Seasons 1-3)
- Luke Cage (Seasons 1-2)
- Iron Fist (Seasons 1-2)
- The Defenders (Limited Series)
- The Punisher (Seasons 1-2)
- Soundtrack – Removed March 2022
We’re told this list will continue to grow exponentially over time as Netflix doesn’t necessarily hold the distribution rights for many titles within its library.
Netflix Original Shows Removed Part Way Through Their Run
There have been two major instances of shows being removed from Netflix internationally. In both instances, it was because they were renewed away from Netflix.
- The Expanse – Netflix has the international rights to all of the Syfy seasons of The Expanse before Amazon Prime Video revived the show and became the new home.
- Star Trek: Discovery – Netflix held the exclusive international rights to every season up until season 4 where ViacomCBS bought back the rights in favor to put it on Paramount+ when it eventually lands around the world.
Netflix Originals Removed due to government takedowns
The most famous example of Netflix getting ordered to remove content is with Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj. An episode critical of the regime in the country was ordered to be pulled back in January 2019.
The following titles were removed from Netflix Singapore and have been removed from several other regions too:
- The Last Hangover (eventually removed globally)
- The Temptation of Christ (eventually removed globally)
- Cooking on High
That’s the current list. We’ll keep expanding this over time as and when other Netflix Originals depart from the service.