Never before have we seen a director, producer, and actor bring such versatility to the big screen. Mukesh Asopa has showcased his great passion for art and cinema through courageously and successfully fusing different genres and themes. Whether it is a thriller, drama, horror, romance, or comedy, Asopa masterfully integrates multiple layers of these genres into a captivating storyline.
In addition, one of Asopa’s top priorities in his films is to form an engaging relationship with the audience. The distinct tones and diverse blends of different genres in his films attract an extensive audience, thus also contributing to Asopa’s versatility. He evokes a myriad of emotions through his strategic language, symbolic scenery, and accentuated costume choices. The twists and turns in Asopa’s films keep audiences on their toes anxiously waiting to see what will happen next.
Asopa graduated from the prestigious University of Calcutta same as fellow alumnus, film-maker legend, and Academy Award Winner Satyajit Ray. Asopa is also an alumnus of the renowned Barry John Acting Studio along with some other heavy hitters in the entertainment film industry including director, writer, and producer Mira Nair and Frieda Pinto of Slumdog Millionaire.
Continuing in his excellence and success, Asopa is also a member of the Director’s Guild of Canada and has received over 100 awards in several different categories from global film festivals as well as local film festivals. His numerous awards have been received for his roles as an actor, director, and producer within his six feature films. Since Asopa’s film debut in 2009, he has been continuously raising the bar with each new release. His six feature films have been met with high acclaim from film experts as well as general audiences:
- Aisha and Rahul (2009)- “Aisha is a girl brought up in the western world, and Rahul is a boy from India who is new to the West. They meet by chance in a coffee shop and develop a close friendship that eventually becomes much more. It is a new world and culture for Rahul, but is it a world that he’s ready for?”
- The Taste of Relation (2009)- “We see different tastes of relation at different point of life. There is fun, love, emotions, sacrifice, death, and lots more, but there is one truth: ‘A service to mankind can be the gift for your life.’”
- Zombie Beach (2010)- “Centuries ago, a deal was struck between the heroes of the good and the evil. The beach you visited was sanctioned to the evil, and there, the undead could walk like living beings among us.”
- Chambers Gate (2014)- “Jules Akola is a newly appointed government official who claims to halt rising underground street crime, namely drug lord Sydney Smalls and wingman Tio Spence. After Jules is alleged of murder, he is sought by the lovely Angie, a covert cop, whose persuasive charm leads Jules’s fiancée into the arms of a wayward clergyman.”
- Depth of Pyaar (2019)- “A film about two brothers: Yash is a charismatic young lawyer frustrated in his pursuit of justice, while Ansh is a social recluse due to his medical limitations, and their lives are overturned when a sociopathic criminal targets them and their loved ones. Both are forced to make decisions about how far they will go for the people whom they love.”
- Bloody Romeo (2021)- “Some mysterious events are the talk of the town. Amongst these strange incidents, there is an introvert, soft-hearted guy named Romeo. He is happy being single until one day he meets Layla, and they seek comfort in each other while death afflicts the city.”
When Zombie Beach was widely released by Carmike Cinemas (now AMC) in the U.S. in 2014, it reached high popularity with zombie movie lovers as well as college and university students. After Depth of Pyaar was released on Amazon Prime in the U.S., it qualified for submission to the Academy Awards in 2021.
His most recent, Bloody Romeo, has been nominated for the prestigious 2022 SoCal Film Awards in California, and it will also be an official selection at the 2022 Idyllwild International Film Festival. All of Asopa’s films were widely released in theaters and on OTT platforms.
Specifically, Amazon Prime released all of Asopa’s films in the U.S. and Europe, while alternative OTT platforms have targeted other audiences around the world. Currently, Depth of Pyaar is streaming on Amazon Prime in the U.S. and the U.K.
Looking ahead, Asopa has been in the process of developing some new films: Postal Code, Sri Dungargarh, Universal Greed, and an untitled zombie movie. Although production has been delayed due to Covid-19 restrictions, Asopa’s heightened motivation, energy, and passion continue to drive his innovation and creativity.
As Asopa continues to propel forward elevating his work to new heights, he also stops to reflect and provide effective guidance and supportive advice to the aspiring film makers of the world. Through his positive experiences with film festivals and his great respect for their juries, Asopa strongly recommends that film makers submit their movies to various film festivals to be examined by experts.
Receiving feedback and critical reviews from a panel of experts allows film makers to analyze their work from different viewpoints and to adjust and make improvements going forward. Additionally, Asopa makes it a point to be involved in every element of a film both in front of and behind the camera.
Every camera angle tells its own story in the production of a larger cinematic journey. From scenery to costumes to language to music, Asopa stresses the importance of every nuance in every plot line to make a film a truly powerful and unique piece of cinematic art.
For more information, visit