After years of hypothesis and nicely over a decade of ready, Ewan McGregor is again within the Star Wars universe because the lead of Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Jedi grasp will star in his personal self-titled restricted collection completely on Disney+, and it guarantees to be the tv occasion of the yr. The collection re-teams McGregor along with his prequel costar Hayden Christensen, an enormous deal in and of itself. How will Obi-Wan and Anakin reconnect onscreen? And what does that assembly appear to be now that Obi-Wan is on the run and Anakin is now Darth Vader? We’ll simply have to attend and see.
As a part of Disney+’s build-up to the premiere of Obi-Wan Kenobi, McGregor took half in a press convention. Becoming a member of him was Moses Ingram, who performs the relentless Imperial Inquisitor Reva, and collection director/showrunner Deborah Chow. Ingram could also be new to Star Wars, having enlisted with the Empire after an Emmy-nominated flip in The Queen’s Gambit, however Chow’s changing into a little bit of a Star Wars veteran. She directed two action-packed episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1, and now she’s turned her consideration to Obi-Wan.
So, what did the celebs and creator reveal in the course of the press convention? Let’s break it down.
1. Obi-Wan Kenobi isn’t the one character that interviewers have been bugging Ewan McGregor about over the previous 15-ish years. “For years, I used to be requested two issues: would I do the sequel to Trainspotting and would I ever play Obi Wan Kenobi once more. It was all the time the final two questions because the publicist is poking her head across the door saying, ‘That’s the final query.’”
2. All of these interview questions, although? They labored. “Disney simply requested me to return in at some point for a gathering as a result of they saved seeing on social media that I used to be saying that I want to play Obi Wan Kenobi once more, like I used to be type of touting for work at Disney’s door, like, ‘Might you forged me?’ However anyway, they received me in and requested me if I meant it and I mentioned yeah.”
3. Deborah Chow was drawn to the undertaking as a result of she liked the concept of attending to do a restricted collection. “I used to be probably the most enthusiastic about doing a character-driven story and actually form of having the chance to get extra depth and have extra time to essentially get to know the character.”
4. Moses Ingram described the script she initially learn for Obi-Wan as “harmful.” “[The scripts were] edgy and enjoyable and funky, and I simply you already know I couldn’t say no… I used to be stunned. I imply, from what I knew of Star Wars, I didn’t notice it was that harmful. It felt harmful once I was studying and I used to be like, ‘Oh, I like this. I’m into this.’”
5. Obi-Wan has a disaster of religion whereas in hiding, McGregor mentioned. “He can’t talk with any of his outdated comrades and he’s residing a fairly solitary life. He’s not in a position to make use of the Pressure, so in a method he’s misplaced his religion. It’s like any individual who stepped away from their faith or one thing, when you like, and the one the one accountability to his previous life is wanting over Luke Skywalker.”
6. Chow all the time knew that the present needed to included Anakin Skywalker ultimately. “The historical past popping out of Revenge of the Sith is so robust and it’s so highly effective that it actually felt like for us that, you already know, clearly, there’d be a lot weight coming into the story that was linked to Anakin Vader. So I feel it simply felt pure, clearly there can be Hayden [Christensen], and that we’d proceed this relationship within the collection.”
7. McGregor and Christensen rekindled their onscreen chemistry effortlessly, mentioned McGregor. “Once I noticed [Hayden] once more and was in a position to discuss this undertaking with him, it was very very thrilling. And once we had been appearing collectively, it was actually like some type of time warp. Actually, simply wanting throughout the set at him, it was just like the final 17 years didn’t occur in any respect. It was actually peculiar.”
8. Ingram had 4 months of bodily coaching to get ready to play Reva, and she or he skilled alongside McGregor. Ingram: “We skilled for about 4 months earlier than we ever even received to set. Day-after-day [we did] common energy and cardio, after which three days per week of Jedi college on high of that — which originally was a little bit intimidating as a result of I are available in and we’re doing a lightsaber work and naturally, [Ewan’s] been doing this for years, so he’s like, flipping it and wielding it and I’m like, ‘God, I’m by no means gonna get it. I look horrible.’ However you already know, if at first you don’t succeed, attempt to attempt once more.”
9. Obi-Wan’s combating fashion from the prequels was analyzed and constructed upon for the collection. McGregor: “[Jonathan Eusebio], our struggle coordinator, is absolutely an incredible, considerate man. And he’s taken the fights that we did within the unique three movies and he type of studied them along with his stunt crew and develop them. So it’s very considerate. It’s not simply random. [He’s] actually a pondering struggle arranger, which was cool to work on.”
10. Deborah Chow’s expertise working with the Quantity — the soundstage-sized all-encompassing LED screens that may drop actors in any setting — on The Mandalorian ready her for Obi-Wan Kenobi, however the tech’s far more developed. Chow: “A number of the tech has superior a lot. So each passing yr there’s advances, so by the point we got here to do Kenobi, there have been issues that we might do this we couldn’t do on the primary season [of The Mandalorian].”
11. John Williams’ rating from earlier Star Wars movies is blasted on set whereas filming key scenes. Ingram: “It was sick too, as a result of we’d be like stepping off the ship or doing one thing else and the music would swell and also you simply really feel such as you’re ten ft tall.” That is precisely what Chow hoped the music would accomplish. “We did it as a result of the music brings the emotional part, and what John Williams has finished has been so inextricably tied to Star Wars,” Chow mentioned. “We put it on and I see Moses develop like two inches taller. Everyone responds to it.”
Obi-Wan Kenobi premieres Friday, Could 27 on Disney+.
Stream Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+